Several years ago I started using this recipe after seeing a similar version using lemon and I tried it a few times and decided to give it a twist. The orange works really well and gives it a hint of sweetness and a fruity citrus flavor. It is easy and tasty to cook and you can use white meat chicken if you prefer, but, the tenderness and juiciness of the darker meat thighs are wonderful. So here goes..
Orange Roasted Chicken Thighs
by Stephen Stinson
• 4 Chicken Thighs (organic if possible)
• 1 Medium to large Orange sliced (Lemon if you prefer)
• 2-3 Garlic Cloves chopped
• 2-4 sprigs of fresh Thyme
• 2-4 Tbsp. of Olive Oil (my favorite is California Olive Ranch® Extra Virgin)
• 1/2 Tsp. of Sea or Kosher Salt
• 1/2 Tsp. of Black Pepper (preferably ground peppercorns)
• 2 Tbsp. of Chardonnay White Wine
1) Pre-heat Oven to 350º
2) Wash Chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
3) Heat Olive Oil in large oven safe pan on medium (I use my #10 iron skillet 3 inches deep).
4) Sprinkle salt & pepper gingerly on both sides of chicken.
5) Put skin side down into the skillet and hot oil & brown for about 4-6 minutes then add the chopped garlic.
6) Flip the thighs over and brown another 4-6 minutes as well as adding the orange slices.
7) Before placing pan in oven add the White Wine & Thyme.
8) Put lid on and bake for 45 minutes.
9) Remove lid and bake another 20 minutes browning the chicken well on top.
10) Remove and serve
• You can use a variety of spices for the chicken. I usually use my own spice with a little cayenne pepper heat to it for additional flavor just because I like it a little spicy.
• Side dishes I like to use are usually some kind of rice and a green vegetable like asparagus, green beans, or spinach.